Pynchon and the Beats

LOT64 at aol.com LOT64 at aol.com
Tue May 2 21:21:21 CDT 1995

While some interesting points were made regarding the influence of William
Burroughs on Pynchon, I think an important distinction has been overlooked.
 First, Pynchon's take on the Beats seems to be primarily satirical.  He
stands apart from them and observes them in a fondly critical way ("the Whole
Sick Crew" is not regarded in the same idealized light as Kerouac reveres
Cody et al)  The major difference between Pynchon and the Beats is Pynchon's
profound sense of history.  He is always looking at things in their
historical context.  He is always looking for connections between the past
and the present and seeing the continuities and absurd juxtapositions.  The
Beats lived in exaltation of the NOW.  Digging the moment was the most
important value- exemplified by improvisation in jazz, writing (Kerouac's
typing not writing, poetry reading etc.)  Pynchon is intimately involved in
history from Jacobean revenge tragedy, the Fashoda affair, Weimar intrigues
etc.  I dont see any stylistic connection between Burroughs and Pynchon
except for their corrosively funny senses of humor.  Pynchon I think has more
of a connection with Surrealism.  Of course I may be blowing my whole
arguement, since NAKED LUNCH is very much informed by the cut-up method.  I
never really understood NAKED LUNCH till I read JUNKY which is the basic text
that is cut up and added to to create NAKED LUNCH.

Pynchon never fails to be able to comment critically and humorously on the
movements and trends of his time, even the ones he enjoys.  The Beats took
themselves pretty seriously.