Oedipa?

Heikki Raudaskoski hraudask at sun3.oulu.fi
Tue May 9 03:32:10 CDT 1995

On Mon, 8 May 1995 LARSSON at vax1.mankato.msus.edu wrote:

> Based on his remarks in the intro to SLOW LEARNER, it would seem that TRP is
> ambivalent about COL49, but then VINELAND does bring back Mucho.  I think it
> was Richard Poirier who some time ago suggested that COL49 was a marginal
> work because P had not used recurring characters from it (with the obvious
> exception of Bloody Chiclitz, who started out in V. anyway).

Also James Nohrnberg (in one of those first critical collections on
Pynchon in the late 70s, can't remember which of them) claims (when
trying to show that Oedipa is a reincarnation of the Virgin Mary)
that LOT 49 is an "apocryphal" work between the Old Testament (_V._)
and the New Testament (_Gravity's Rainbow_).

Heikki