Oedipa, again

Edwin Horneij HORNEIJ at humnet.ucla.edu
Tue May 9 12:18:32 CDT 1995

"Don.Lloyd" <22323DGL at MSU.EDU>:

> [W]e don't know what happens to Oedipa either or which of her
> "symmetrical four" alternatives (if any) will pan out (171).
> What we do know is that she has found "the courage you find you have
> when there is nothing more to lose" (182).  Can it be that TRP
> is telling us quite bluntly that the ending is not important but
> that how you understand and face that ending are?  This is how
> I always took it, and it makes Oedipa, and the book, a favorite for
> me.  (Although you might say I have four different favorites, all
> for different reasons.)

That was always the way I took _Lot 49_ too. I don't mind ambiguity.
Heck, I _love_ ambiguity. My point was that if TRP introduces "Mucho"
Maas into _Vineland_ 20 years on, and brings us up to date on him,
and only refers to Oedipa obliquely, it's frustrating and perverse.
I remain majestically indifferent to the fate of Wendell Maas, but if
TRP insists on bringing him up then I want to know about Oedipa,
dammit.

-- Ed Horneij