unsubscribing from pynchon-l

Jody Keith Gilbert gilbert at sfu.ca
Sat May 13 10:51:12 CDT 1995

For those having difficulty unsubscribing here is a reminder how to do
it.  And please remember your correct address when trying to do it.

pynchon-l is now run under a program at sfu called Majordomo.

                                Majordomo

Majordomo is a piece of software used for managing mailing lists. To
manage a list you send e-mail requests to majordomo at sfu.ca (or

The are two types of lists, OPEN and CLOSED, the distinction being
whether people are free to join themselves into the list (open) or
whether the owner controls who should be a member (closed).

pynchon-l is at present an open list and will remain that
way until I am provided with a good reason to screen
members.

People "subscribe" to OPEN lists directly (and "unsubscribe" from
them) by sending e-mail messages to majordomo at sfu.ca.

E.g: To join pynchon-l, a person would send mail like this:

          To: majordomo at sfu.ca

          subscribe pynchon-l
          end
That is:
You send your mail to

                majordomo at sfu.ca

You needn't specify a subject.

And the entire contents of the message,
on the first line and second lines of the message are:

                subscribe pynchon-l
                end

The "end" is in case you have a sig.  "end" lets majordomo
 know that it is not to try to process the sig.

unless you want to subscribe an address other
than the one you are sending from, in which case
the entire contents of the message,
on the first and second lines of the message are:

                subscribe pynchon-l youraddresshere at your.site
                end

unsubscribe follows the same procedure except that you cannot
unsubscribe
from a different address than that from which you are mailing.

The commands that you might need to know concerning majordomo and
pynchon-l are:

    subscribe <list> [<address>]        Subscribe yourself (or
<address> if specified) to the named <list>.

    unsubscribe <list> [<address>]        Unsubscribe yourself (or
<address> if specified) from the named <list>.

We do not have automatic archive ability.

We do NOT have the ability to set an AUTOMATIC GROUP REPLY
so you must take care to reply to the GROUP yourself if
that is what you wish to do rather than replying to the INDIVIDUAL
sending the message.

REMEMBER that messages sent to the list are to be sent to pynchon-l at sfu.ca.

John (Jody) K. Gilbert
Department of English