What Pynchon Knew

Bonnie Surfus (ENG) surfus at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Wed May 17 10:12:29 CDT 1995

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Paul Mackin wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 1995 grnmt at sover.net wrote:
>
> > What Pynchon knew or didn't know when he wrote the text, and what he meant
> > by it seem highly irrelevant to interpreting the novel.  To assign the
> > authors guiding hand and full knowledge to the text seems to be the
> > antithesis of Pynchon's ideas of reading. Yes, yes, this is
> > self-contradictory.  TO quote Whitman, Do I contradict myself, very well
> > then I contradict myself,
>
> The first sentence, and maybe the second, seem right on target--as far as
> interpretation of the novels go.  Not sure I understand the contradiction
> and how Whitman fits. Need more clarification.
>
> There are really two discussions being carried out on the Pynchon
> List--one about the books and the other about the author. The latter
> seems to have been dominant lately. Maybe your offering will help address
> the balance.
>
> 				Pablo

I don't think either is irrelevant, contrary to what's stated and
applauded here.  Neither do I think there's any way of saying what's
"right on target" about interpretation.  Except, of course, what I say
about interpretation (kidding.)  See my earlier post.

What Pablo points out about the two threads here, should embarress us.
Maybe it just looks bad, upon reflection.  It's hard to get around the
knowledge that no matter how much we want to critique, we are an
organizing species and this is what we do.

Bonnie