Paranoia......

Jan KLIMKOWSKI Jan.Klimkowski at bbc.co.uk
Wed May 17 12:24:00 CDT 1995

Mat Jacobson wrote:

>Our interpretations of experience, and texts, are "stencilized" by our own
>viewpoints, informational patterns, etc.  What we "see" exists because we
>see it, not because, necessarily, someone intended to put it there.

Not necessarily indeed, but what we "see" may still exist because someone
intended to put it there.  Of course each and every one of us "reads" a
different text each and every time we pick up GR....  But this denial of
artistic intention can go too far.  The genesis of some of the most
startling artistic effects can be pure accident, but the artist recognized
these effects at some point during the creative process and left them in the
work, (intentionally, if you want).

And contra some earlier posts, I think the historical period in which GR is
set is not arbitrary.  As McHale and others have stated, the Zone is a
wondrous PostModernSpace; as somebody whose father was a child DP from 1940
onwards, there is of course no doubt  that the Zone is also a real
historical space to which Pynchon the artist is attracted for a variety of
reasons, and personally, I'm mighty glad he was....

Andrew adds:
>TO assign intention to the "Writer" is Paranoia.

To assign no intention to an artist is Anti-Paranoia.  Check out Molly Hite.

jan