Brock Vond

RICHARD ROMEO RR.TFCNY at mail.fdncenter.org
Thu May 25 09:20:00 CDT 1995

Am 3/4 through with Vineland and the more I read about Mr. Vond, the more
I think of one of the characters in Dr. Strangelove-the general who wants
to start WW3, he who complains and is horrified by the sexual act in that
it is in his words "a loss of his essence".  As much as Brock realizes
the frailties of the hippie generation, it strikes me as funny that Brock
does not notice the same frailties in himself in reverse.  i.e. deep down
he wants to "cut loose" whereas his hippie prisoners really want to be
behind fences and told right and wrong.  Is this a paradox or just one
more insight into human weakness?   Maybe it's just the male-macho ego in
fear of its feminine self (that woman in the attic) for Brock.  As for
the hippies...