Finnegan's Wake

Cal McInvale godot at rt66.com
Sun May 28 20:56:00 CDT 1995

"Bonnie Surfus (ENG)" <surfus at chuma.cas.usf.edu> writes:
>Ok.  I'm not a Joycean scholar by any stretch.  I thought PORTRAIT was
>dull and transparent and couldn't get past the first paragraph in ULYSSES
>before shelving it for post-grad work.

In the words of John Gardner to Raymond Carver (regarding Robert Penn
Warren's "Blackberry Winter"), "You'd better read it again."

>But I have glanced at the text of
>FINNEGAN'S WAKE, on recommendation, noting in particular the circular
>orientation of the text, esp. the end-beginning feedback.
>
>I find a similar structure in GR.  Has this been beat to death?  I could
>try to explain but first thought to check it out.

I'd like to hear a bit more about where you see the circular structure to
GR.  It is obvious in FW

        A way a lone a last a loved a long the // riverrun, past Eve and
        Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius
        vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

the '//' symbol designating the *end* of the book, so the beginning and end
are the same (or cancel one another out, whichever way you view it), making
the tale a circle.  The referents in the opening sentence ("back to Howth
Catle") imply that the reader has been here before.  Joyce's working
structrural theory was from Vico's theory of circular history; the novel
almost entirely is a dream of the history of the world, told of course in
the guise of allegory.  (It is probably the richest novel on Earth, in
terms of referents, symbols, etc.)

I see almost no evidence of this in GR; the structure seems to begin and
later end.  This is not to say that the structure is linear -- certainly
not.  More like a string with knots & kinks & twists & turns.  But I do not
see the ends of the string as attached to one another.

Cal McInvale
godot at rt66.com
What is most appealing about young folks, after all, is the changes, not
the still photographs of finished character but the movie, the soul in
flux.  -- Thomas Pynchon