Alien Invasion!

Murthy Yenamandra yenamand at cs.umn.edu
Thu Dec 12 09:39:33 CST 1996

Craig Clark clarifies:
> The only part of the above with which I'll disagree is Murthy's
> suggestion that "we don't like them just the way they are". I think
> this needs further unpacking - "we" don't like "them" just the way
> they are because they don't buy our commodities. We're talking of a
> process whereby the under-developed world is seen not as a series of
> populations, each with their own culture and values, but rather as an
> Untapped Market.

This is right - we don't want them to be too much like us (with the same
resources and power), but just enough like us to send us the raw
material and then buy back our value-added junk.

> PS Murthy - another great Sig!

I've had Leonard Cohen camping out in my head all week, so you're
probably going to see a lot more from him now!

Murthy

--
Murthy Yenamandra, Dept of CompSci, U of Minnesota. mailto:yenamand at cs.umn.edu
    "I'm stubborn as those garbage bags that time can not decay