Joe Klein

Paul Mackin mackin at allware.com
Sat Jul 27 07:53:49 CDT 1996

Aren't we going to hear it from anyone for Joe Klein?

It's trivial and getting more tiresome by the minute, but the whole affair
really perturbs me off. Please forgive me for bringing it up.

The use of "anonymous" for nondestructive purposes is an old
and, as far I can see, honorable practice.

If a reporter asks a silly question he should expect a silly answer.
"Is is true, Mr. Klein, that you are the one hiding his true identity?
We demand you fess up now." (It does seem to make much difference even
if the anonymous one himself is asking the question.)

This is disputed I know but IMHO reporters have neither more nor less
obligation to say THE TRUTH than anyone else. There is nothing so
terribly special about the media. It's no more sitting in a public trust
or complicit in the System and Theydom (however you want to put it) than
a fairly big percentage of the rest of us.

				P.