TP supposedly to sign M&D copies tonite -- NYC

Cathy Melnicki cathy_melnicki at hholt.com
Tue Apr 1 10:04:23 CST 1997

     Don't fall prey to a silly April Fool's joke...this is completely
     untrue.

     (I work at Henry Holt).

Subject: TP supposedly to sign M&D copies tonite -- NYC
Author:  dcmills at sure.net at Internet
Date:    4/1/97 10:48 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, but a long time fan of Pynchon's work.

I found this notice on a NYC website and thought listers in the NYC
area might be interested:
TUE, APR 1

                 One Word: Pynchon
                 With the publication of Thomas Pynchon's
                 award-winning first novel V., he had the literary
                 world waiting with bated breath for its follow-up --
                 and Gravity's Rainbow delivered, winning about every
                 award worth mentioning whose judges didn't find the
                 book "turgid," "overwritten," "unreadable" and
                 "obscene." But more than the abstruseness of his
                 novels, the mystery of the reclusive Pynchon's
                 personal life has piqued readers' interests.
                 Especially when, in anticipation of this spring's
                 release of his fourth novel, Mason and Dixon, it was
                 revealed that Pynchon lives here in New York on the
                 Upper West Side. Get your copy of Mason and Dixon
                 early tonight -- Pynchon will be appearing at Gryphon
                 Books signing advance copies.

                 - N. Flanders

                 (Gryphon Bookshop, 2246 Broadway at 80th,
                 212.362.0706; 6pm, FREE )

It appears to be genuine.  Here's the URL for where I found the
notice:
http://www.totalny.com/outabout/getout/buzz/caltext.shtml#one

Cheers,
Dave