lineland-l at waste.why?

Henry Musikar gravity at nicom.com
Tue Apr 29 14:21:51 CDT 1997

More meta and even stranger are people who are either new to the
list themselves or who have been lurking and then devote time to
discussing the list devoting time to discussing things that obviously
concern a not insignificant number of P-people.

Care to take this to yet another level? I'm just waiting for someone
to take me to task for taking people who whine about people
discussing lineland to task.

On 29 Apr 97 at 10:53, Stephen Croes wrote:

> So neither Dale nor Jules has read much Pynchon and this list is devoting
> its time to discussing them.  Are these guys the Handmaidens of Endtimes?
>
> >This is a really wierd phenomenon that I don't yet understand.  I admit in
> >the Preface to Lineland that before Jules approached me, I didn't know who
> >the hell TRP was.  (Of course, I've since become interested in reading
> >Pynchon, but have only make it through COL49 so far.) The name sounded
> >vaugely familiar, but I just couldn't place it.  I can't think of any other
> >authors who can have a 200,000 copy first print run for whom this could
> >possibly be the case -- I at least know they're an author, even if I
> >haven't read them.
> >
> >I thought at first maybe it was just a wierd hole in my brain.  I've
> >since talked to plenty of people who are well read and generally aware
> >who have the same hole -- they just don't know about Pynchon's work.
> >
> >What's with this?
> >
> >dale

AsB4,
Henry Musikar

Keep cool, but care. -- TRP
Moderation in moderation. -- Husky Mariner