Vineland

Greg Montalbano Greg.Montalbano at ucop.edu
Tue Apr 29 14:50:53 CDT 1997

>Date: Tue, 29 Apr 97 12:48:44 PDT
>From: seandkle at sybase.com (Sean Klein)
>To: Greg.Montalbano at ucop.edu
>Subject: Re: Vineland
>

>Interesting comments on searchers.  You have swayed my thoughts somewhat.
But Prairie was after something much more, uh... concrete, than the others.
V was some sort of ideal woman (if I remember correctly), Slothrop pursued
rumored rockets, and Oedipa was looking for a conspiracy.  Frenesi was a
person that others knew, had on film, had connections with, and these others
were the people that Prairie spent the book with, notably DL and Zoyd.

>Also, the everpresent tube is more present during the end of Vineland.  So
why not some Movie of the Weekness?

It's generally agreed that TRP enjoys raising more questions than he (or
anyone) can answer -- one of the great attractions of his style that draws
the folks on this list, and seems diametrically opposed to the standards &
conventions of movies of the week.
As for the "everpresent tube" throughout VINELAND, I see it as mainly COLOR;
a touchstone appropriate to the time, place & characters of that novel
(which wouldn't have worked in any of the others).