MDMD(5)----Chap 15 Questions

Ted Samsel tejas at infi.net
Mon Aug 4 06:56:51 CDT 1997

Tom S sez:

> Most examples of gravity assume a featureless sphere. If you start
> getting serious, you do need to account for mountains and other
> features (such as the fact Earth is not a sphere but somewhat
> pear shaped -- oblate spheriod I think).
>
> There is a US Geological Survey map set that contains what
> I still think is one of the coolest maps I've ever seen: a detailed charting
> of "gravitational variances" across this great land of ours. Never knew
> anyone charted that kind of detail...

Hey, it gets even more detailed. When I was doing cartography at the
Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas, the Bureau
published a Bouguer (sp) Gravity Atlas for the entire state at (I
seem to recall) 50K resolution. Lots of wierd anomalies and they
move over time. Yow! (Not quickly, though..)

tejas at infi.net
           "Eat some blackeyed peas and fried banana,
            smoke me a seegar from Havana,
            I'll be the King of Louisiana"
                             (It's gonna be) PAYDAY  Porter Wagoner