The Tale of Tyrone's dick

Jan Klimkowski jan.klimkowski at bbc.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 07:58:09 CDT 1997

ray wrote:

>i don't see the rocket hard on as surreal at all, which is part of the
>reason it works for me. the way you describe it here seems to >support
my claim--this scenario is par for the war course. i'm a big
>fan of writing that can easily be dubbed postmodern but is in fact
>realistic, and among the coovers and barths (both of whom i admire
>and enjoy reading), this
>is an aspect of pynchon's brilliance, for me. borderline absurd,
>perhaps, but not surreal, is my take.

Just because something is surreal, doesn't mean it isn't political.
 Historically, Surrealism & Dadaism are amongst the most politically
committed of avantgarde art movements.  Also, if I remember correctly, in
the Intro to Slow Learner, TRP does speak favourably of surrealism as an
art form.

Actually, for me the Tale of Tyrone's Dick is closer to the Garcia
Marquez of 100 Years of Solitude, than it is to Coover and Barth.
 Indeed, I think Barth in particular is not writing about "the real
world", and I think there are major differences in the projects of
Pynchon and Barth.  To express it crudely, I think Barth is essentially
writing self-referential pomo texts which have very little to do with
"reality" as you express it above.  Whereas part of Pynchon's project,
like Garcia Marquez', does involve taking real historical material and
reflecting it thru the prism of art.
jan

BTW, I also really like the way you look at P. I get a little weary
of the beautiful edifi on cheesy foundations. Tons of great finish
carpenters here, few foundation pourers.