The Tale of Tyrone's dick

Jan Klimkowski jan.klimkowski at bbc.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 10:14:55 CDT 1997

Firstly, apologies for the noise at the bottom of my last post.  My
mistake - please ignore.

Secondly, Dennis sez:

I'll see your phenomenological read of Barth's oeuvre and raise you one
_GILES Goat-Boy_.

Good riposte.  I could be wicked and try seeing you with The Tidewater
Tales, but can't bear to.  Actually, I initially thought GGB was about
student revolution, life et al until I read some interview comments of
Barth's where he pretty much disassociated himself from such a view.
 Perhaps this rings a bell with someone on the List more familiar with
Barth's utterances  - something about the University not being a metaphor
for anything.

The reason I invoked "100 Years of Solitude" is that the novel deals
directly with, for instance, the United Fruit Company's exploitation of
Latin America.  But it does this through magic realism (which is arguably
a form of surrealism).  In terms both of the artistic effects they
achieve and the nature of their projects, I see plenty of similarities
between the Pynchon of GR, the Garcia Marquez of 100 Years, and the
Angela Carter of the "Infernal Desire Machines of Dr Hoffman" onwards.

jan