Proposed posting guidelines

4worlds at upanet.cc.uleth.ca 4worlds at upanet.cc.uleth.ca
Mon Aug 4 15:45:26 CDT 1997

>To: padgett at telestream.com
>From: 4worlds at upanet.uleth.ca
>
>Penny, what you wrote on 8/1/97 prompted me to reply.
>
>IMHO.  ARE YOU NUTS! (Please refer to current p-listings under the subject
of insane for my full meaning.)  I offer the following for your
consideration towards the necessity of enforcing p-list guidelines that
would ultimately only validate the type of postings you are hoping to
discourage.  As it stands, I believe your suggestions would be worse than
the problem.  Aegrescit Medendo (L.)

>Lurkers are invited to post once they have read enough posts to justify
their reasons for joining in the first place, and posters are reminded to
justify their submissions towards promotion the lurkers to come out of the
closet.

>To any correspondence in which the <interpretation of meanings as intended
and meanings as read> may occur, listers are encouraged to misread and
proceed, off-line if need be.

>Posts <quoting the entire messge of a previous message>, are subject to
on-line ridicule until the issue has been resolved.

>Posts <displaying courtesy to fellow list members>, on or off-list, are
only allowed if they promote a comaraderie amongst p-list critics.

>Unless the enthusiasm in your post does not acknowledge the diversity of
Pynchoniac interests, evocations or your own vicarious epistemological
manifestations, then please, keep them to yourself.

><If you aren't enjoying what's being discussed, start a discussion about
something you do enjoy>, and if that doesn't keep your topic actively
debated on-line, you are encouraged to submit alias postings until such
times as you have generated a lively debate amongst yourself.

><Posts will follow the standard rules of netiquette> and anyone caught
relying on  Roberts Rules of Order, will be dropped.  This guideline would
insure that chaos be given its due respect in vilifying Zero Tolerance
standards.

>If <personal attacks, argumentativeness, discourtesy and contentious> posts
are left on-list, an on-line duel will be scheduled to which all p-list
members are invited to participate.  Cutthroat tactics are encouraged and
the last camp standing wins.

>It would be heretical to keep junk mail off of waste.org.  (What were you
thinking?)

>Any snags to baited lists must be reported at once, as this will relieve
other list members to pursue free bait.

>Those whose posts become repetitive will be remined by fellow p-listers of
the signs and symptoms of obsessive-compulsive behavior and if warranted,
counseled on psychosomatic conditioning.

>Irritated p-listers are encouraged to forward, re-direct, cc., et al, any
and all <unnecessary material quoted from previous messages>, to the
offending poster, under the guise of an alternate subject title, until such
time as the <unnecessarily quoted message> has been duly recognized as a
mantra and the poster an apostle.