MDMD(5) Chap 16--Questions, Dhow

Steven Maas (CUTR) maas at cutr.eng.usf.edu
Tue Aug 5 07:51:11 CDT 1997

> 174.4  "Dhow" Anyone know what type of ship?

It's an Arab lateen-rigged low-waisted ship. Lateen-rigged means a
triangular sail on a low mast.  This was common for North African ships.

An interesting book: _The Book of Old Ships: From Egyptian Galleys to
Clipper Ships_ by Henry B. Culver.  It's an old book but available in
a 1992 Dover Publications trade paperback (I got it at Borders).  It has a
line drawing and a few pages of text about each of many types of sailing
ship.  It doesn't include a dhow--but it does have an 18th C. frigate, an
East Indiaman, and a xebec (for you V-ers out there).  I imagine a dhow is
similar to a xebec, but maybe smaller.

	Steve Maas