mdmd(5) - Running Amok

Australian Studies Centre psd.asc at nontri.ku.ac.th
Wed Aug 6 01:01:30 CDT 1997

Running amok originates from Bali in Indonesia, and, if I remember
correctly, comes to the west via accounts of Balinese cities giving a last
ditch attempt to stave off the Dutch invaders by sending out their whole
population to charge the guns of the Dutch army with little more than
sticks. The result was a slughter. Amok, a Balinese word coming to English
via Dutch (again, cannot verify) then has connotations of running around
ina state of madness and futility. A good account is Adrian Vickers, Bali:
A Paradise Created (Penguin: 1993-4?).

Mike H