Mason's or Cheerycoke's Madness?

RICHARD ROMEO RR.TFCNY at mail.fdncenter.org
Thu Aug 7 16:49:00 CDT 1997

Up to this point in the MDMD, we, the readers, are given a good view of
the state of Charles Mason, his foibles, his sorrow, his lusts.  I'd like
to know what others think of the idea that there is quite a creepiness to
Mason despite some of his Bloom-like characteristics.   If I had a
choice, I do believe I'd rather have a drink with Dixon who, if mad as
well, seems to like the view.

Any direct evidence that Cherrycoke met Rebekah?  Guess would make
Mason's views towards much more interesting seeing as some of them might
be the refracted feelings of Mr C.

Also, can we equate Cherrycoke with Pirate in the sense of his strange
appearances throughout the narrative.  The Rev. is the de facto "fantasy
surrogate" for M&D and other characters and it's fun (not to mention
frustrating) trying to spot him amongst the weeds and slimies...some
scenes you'd think the rev was pissed or sleepy.  a-and isn't it strange
that the end doesn't loop back to 1786?

loopily,

Richard Romeo
Coordinator of Cooperating Collections