sequals???

Andersen Jesper Sparre janderse at haverford.edu
Mon Aug 11 09:25:56 CDT 1997

Okay, at the risk of starting a flame war or other such mayhem which I'ld
rather avoid, i really have to say to your sequal:

	Are you out of your mind???

This isn't Scarlet O'hara your messing with here.  The collection of
characters and the world belonging to GR belongs to TP.  How can anyone
seek to continue with a story so firmly embedded in the unconscious as
GR?  The novel not a plot which can be continued at the your whim, its an
entrance into way of thinking which is unique to the author.  Was this
Goen with the Wind ro other such drivel then you might be on better
standing, after all, in that case the plot driven story has simple
extensions which anyone could pick up on (NOT that I was in favor of that
book either.)

Futhermore, unless you are prepared to write off Pynchon as a sloppy
fool, surely you must be aware of the fact that the ambiguities in the
story must be intentional.  The story is inconplete because it is
supposed to be, not so other people can wax poetic about the future
lives of Roger Mexico & Co.

I'm impressed by both your skill, ambitions and arrogance that you would
undertake this project, but I think your skills would have been better
focused on writing something that was your own rather than invading the
carefully crafted world of a gifted author.

	Jesper Andersen

 "so who's _your_ favorite spice girl!"