Brian Stonehill, Rest In Peace

Eric Alan Weinstein E.A.Weinstein at qmw.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 17:14:14 CDT 1997

I feel absolutely shocked and saddened by Brian Stonehill's death.
He was a great chap, fun to write to off-list or on, and a fine scholar.
We had some good chats over the last few years, on e-mail and on the
telephone. He could be rather jolly.  He gave helpful advice with my work
and a few other more important things.  I'm sure he was a damn good
teacher. He wrote well, and he wrote well on Pynchon. He was kind and
 bright as all hell, and modest about it to boot.

Brian was going to come to IPW and was up for one of the keynote
speeches. You just don't know.

I can't quite believe this. Its not fair. Life is simply punctuated
by random episodes of pointless tragic loss.

But I'll remember him, a few nice things he said and wrote personally,
a few important, interesting moments in his writing which has influenced
and will guide. And so a little bit of Brian will Stay Alive with me.

The opening  PIPS keynote lecture of the year, on the 23 of October
will be the Brian Stonehill Memorial Lecture, and will continue as such.

I wish this could be enough, but it is nothing like enough.

Where-ever you are Brian,

Bless You
Eric Alan Weinstein
University of London