Colonization of time

David Casseres casseres at apple.com
Tue Aug 12 12:48:02 CDT 1997

Andrew sez

>... to explain the continuity between existing institutions and
>slavery is to show how close we are sailing to the wind. What we have
>now is more humane than slavery but, doubtless, there are good market
>reasons for that. Just wait till the market gets a bit more
>overcrowded and hope that slavery still stays out of the equation.

Quite right.  As a footnote to that, remember that our current, common
definition of slavery is what used to be called "chattel slavery" to
distinguish it from other forms of slavery, such as indentured service
(contract slavery) and "wage slavery."  In both England and America,
chattel slavery was abolished with great fanfare, while the other forms
became institutions to be struggled over, bargained over, "reformed,"
regulated with more or less honesty, usw.  Chattel slavery is the
harshest, the most cruel and absolute form of slavery, but there is
indeed a continuum of which chattel slavery is but an extreme.

Cheers,
David