Independents/Deepen(Sun)dance (was Re: Book Selling/Censorship)

Sojourner sojourner at vt.edu
Tue Aug 12 15:21:39 CDT 1997

At 04:03 PM 8/12/97 -0500, Henry Musikar wrote:
>Books? Videos? When was the last time you bought a compact disk from
>an independent store? Groceries? Computer? Car (just joking). Most
>anything new? Lotta the films that get distribution after Sundance
>aren't all that independent either.

Jeez... ok I buy most of my compact discs from "independant" stores
mainly because I mainly buy CDs from "independant" labels.  I was humming
and singing to "Spaceboy" by the SP the other day and a friend asked me
why I didn't go out and buy it if I liked it so much.  I pointed to the radio
and told my friend that the airwaves played some songs (including that one)
so damn much I didn't need the CD.

As for groceries, I don't shop at an IGA, but I actually know the guy who
owns the small chain of grocery stores down here (Wade's for any interested)
and the family owns maybe 20 stores total.  My computer (at home anyway)
I built myself, and I have absolutely no clue what manufacturer is the
"maker" of my PC, as everything from the chip to the hard drive to the
monitor is made by someone else.  Hell, I even got a CPU upgrade which sure
as hell wasn't made by Intel.

My car is standard factory American make, but it has a wide assortment of
parts, many "after-market", mainly because it is ancient and needs
replacements,
not due to my mechanical savvy.  As for books, I inherit and am given so
many I rarely buy them (M&D the only major one bought recently so I could
keep up with the discussions).  There are two extremely lovely used bookstores
nearby (due to two major colleges in the area) and I buy books there.  In
fact,
there is a major chain store in the one and only mall nearby, and I shop there
so infrequently I cannot even remember the name of the damn place.  Not
Crown though...

As for films, well except for recommendations by friends/similar-minded
folks,
I don't rent them.  I don't have the time or the money or the interest to
spend
7+ bucks to see them in a theater and most of the classic or arty films I
end up
watching at home I check out from a teensy tiny small town library where I
happen to work, where the rental fee is exactly zero unless I keep it too
long,
and then I go upstairs and erase the fee (only happened once folks).

So don't give me that load of shit "Think of that next Independence Day".
I used
to live in England and I assure you we are QUITE independent of them, to the
point where its difficult to even understand their SPEECH of the "same"
language".

The majority of my interactions with the output of the thought of the world is
not through mainstream books/films or even the radioactive gray tit of
television,
but rather through the beautifully lawless internet.

You're as chained as you want to be.

	"Don't go back to Rockville anymore"

	   ---R.E.M.