NM

RICHARD ROMEO RR.TFCNY at mail.fdncenter.org
Tue Aug 12 16:39:00 CDT 1997

that _other_ Nevil Maskelyne:
(from a bio of Houdini):

The early twentieth century theoretician of magic, Nevil Maskelyne, wrote
that the characteristic of any magic feat is that something or somebody
is caused to pass mysteriously from one place or condition to another.
This could be done by surprise, repetition, or transition. Whatever the
choice, the effect depends upon the strength and will of the performer,
who must absorb an audience so deeply in the action that they do not
think of previous information. "What we see prevents us from reflecting
upon what we know," he wrote. The audience is led by suggestion to adopt
an attitude of mind that the magician wishes them to assume. The
magician's audience, Maskelyne tells us, "is interested in witnessing
events which have no relation to common experience and are engendered by
a being who possesses a power far beyond their own." Performance magic as
an art requires that the ability and mental attitude of the magician be
equal to the expectations of this audience.

Richard Romeo
Coordinator of Cooperating Collections
The Foundation Center-NYC
212-807-2417