Selling books (was: Denis Johnson)

Chris Sweet csweet at gte.net
Tue Aug 12 16:21:43 CDT 1997

Henry Musikar wrote:

> On 12 Aug 97 at 9:09, Andersen Jesper Sparre <janderse at haverford.edu>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > someone to fish out a copy from "out back" for me a couple of weeks
> > ago.
> <snip>
>
> Without unlimited (eg. virtual, ala amazon) shelf space, how could it
> be otherwise. Not every book can be on display, so choices must be
> made.

Thus more often than not the choice will be made to stock stuff that
actually sells. If they had it 'out back' the reason would be more
likely that it was just received and hadn't yet made it out on the
floor. With all the books on the occult and sexuality and other stuff
(had a woman tell me the other day that Jock Sturges was into
child abuse) I don't think they are going to worry too much
about a third rate Gore Vidal novel.

-chris