The Tale of Tyrone's dick

David Casseres casseres at apple.com
Tue Aug 12 16:50:09 CDT 1997

Joaquin Stick (aka Fledermaus) sez
>...I think that (especially in a book like
>_Chimera_) Barth is addressing more than just what it means to write and
>create. ... The satire of Campbell's mythical model in the
>"Bellerophoniad" portion of _Chimera_ or the rather emotionally involved
>relationship between the Author and Scheherezade in the "Dunyaziad," I
>think can and must be read not only as discussion of literary/critical
>technique but as an allegory.

I think Chimera is Barth's masterpiece, and I agree that in it, Barth
transcends being "a writer's writer writing about writing."  But he
transcends it by taking it all the way to its extreme limit and then
going further in the same direction.  I don't know if I'd call it
allegory, but I would say that it is about how life and story become one
and the same, how fictional narrators in stories within stories all turn
out to be the author himself, all the stories turn out to be
autobiography.  Not about writing, in the end, but about what writing is
about, yeah, uh, life.

At the same time it's a stunning and showy tour-de-force of tricksy
narrative structure, one more-than-clever feat of transformation after
another, like a really good stage magician at work.  *And* at the same
time, the mythic themes and the pieces of autobiographical story have the
kind of emotional directness that was hinted at in the early novels.

Barth had never done anything quite like this before, and though I wish
he would do it again, I bet he can't.

Cheers,
David