delillo v pynchon

ray gonne RAYGONNE at pacbell.net
Wed Aug 13 00:40:04 CDT 1997

Brian D. McCary wrote:
 Has anyone on the list read anything yet published
> this year which they feel is a viable competitor with M&D for the annual book type
> awards?  (I haven't read anything else published this year, so I can't really
> comment).  You Delillo fans out there?

delillo's underworld is in many ways more accessable than m&d, but it is
neither as intriguing or as accomplished as pynchon's latest. both
writers, i think, show their stuff and prove that they are not ready for
pasture, but pynchon's is clearly the greater of the two novels.
delillo, however, will get the press, the raves, the calls of "magnum
opus!" the thing is, delillo has arguably, in his latest effort, written
his best book (<I> wouldn't argue it, but some will), while pynchon has
already written his true monster, in both size and scope (which is
definitely not meant to take anything away from m&d).
ray