MDMD(5)----Rebekah

Joaquin Stick dmaus at email.unc.edu
Wed Aug 13 10:42:29 CDT 1997

> I seem to recall Iemanja (Yemanja) a goddess in the Yoruba-vodoun-
> candomble pantheon is associated with the rainbow.

The characters in Wole Soyinka's _The Interpreters_ are involved in a
painting of an African pantheon of gods, one of whom is identified with
the form of the rainbow (sorry the name of the deity escapes me). This may
or may not be the one you're thinking about, but it does make for a
compelling and metaphorically fruitful image.

D. Alfred Fledermaus
dmaus at email.unc.edu              |  "Joaquin Stick and Decoverley
UNC-CH, Dept. of English         |   Pox...were wasted gods urging on
http://www.unc.edu/~dmaus        |   a tardy glacier"  --Gravity's Rainbow