NPWittList(wassomethingPynchonrelatedatsomepointmaybe)

Ted Samsel tejas at infi.net
Wed Aug 13 11:09:14 CDT 1997

Soj sez:

> Science is a wonderful religion but relying only on the priests to find the
> meaning of God is what Luther got so damn angry about in the first place.
> Read your Bible.  Study the meanings.  You don't have to be a theology
> major to get meaning out of scriptures and you don't have to be a biologist
> to read journals like Nature and Science.  For chrissakes, this attitude
> drives
> me INSANE.

But then, you get science cranks like Roberty McIlwhaine (remember him?)
and Archimedes Plutonium who take science into their own hands. Some-
times this stuff is amusing, but the disinformation-for-disinformation's
sake aspect of these antics often beclouds already murky issues with
"conventional wisdom" and ever-so "wishful thinking".

My main problem with science-as-it-is-now is the falling away from
the natural history aspect of it. Bean-counting is bean-counting
no matter in which discipline the frijoles fall. There may be some
awe and wonder in mathematics, etc. but damn little in the numerical
"wankerie" we often witness today. But everyone to their own taste
said the old woman as she kissed the cow.

Ted Samsel....tejas at infi.net