NPWittListknicknackpaddywhackgivethedogabone

Sojourner sojourner at vt.edu
Thu Aug 14 07:04:53 CDT 1997

At 10:03 AM 8/13/97 -0700, Greg Montalbano wrote:

> I think my point (completely unsubstantiated by anything;  just
>a feeling) was that the chaos has reached (or is approaching) a peak where
>people will HAVE to start making the effort on their own -- if they are
>inundated with information, and all of it seems equally spurious, then
>maybe they'll have to do the work themselves.

I couldn't agree with you more!! Amen.  Actually, I could agree
with you slightly more.  I believe this "time where chaos has reached.."
has always been with us.  It's long past time, and it will always
BE this time.

Or, in simpler terms, turn up the fucking heat in the kitchen!

>--OK, maybe it's not the most realistic prognostication;  but I'm a very,
>very tired old man (which results in occasional remarks like "why worry?
>let it burn."  Compassionate burnout, I'm told, is common to people of my
>age & philosophical bent), and, like Arthur in the last book of White's
>ONCE & FUTURE KING, I keep running it all through my mind, trying to find
>some way to look at it that could possibly be construed as hopeful.

It already IS hopeful, just because you care.  It isn't cruelty or evil which
destroys the world, but apathy.

>HOwever, (and I still don't think this is cynical, just accurate) the
>majority of people in the world are looking for the easy way through -- let
>the king, the wizard, the priests, the government, the junta, whoever...
>do the thinking for us;  and as soon as we don't like their answers, we'll
>dump them and get a new king, wizard, etc.

Yes they are.  So I say to them, and me, and to you, I dare you to
be your own wizard-king/queen.

>The folks who are willing to (or able to) do the work are always going to
>be in the minority.  NOw damn me for an elitist;  but you can't deny it's
>true.

Elitist? No.  The ones who truly do the work are usually NOT in whatever
society currently deems as "elite" positions.  Ala John Galt etc.

But as for being in the minority, well, not everybody can be Martin
Luther King Jr., but everybody had a chance to walk with him
as he marched through Selma.

	"I like a little Pace in my queso dip!"

	   --Italian book of misunderstood quotes