NPWittList(wassomethingPynchonrelatedatsomepointmaybe)

Sojourner sojourner at vt.edu
Thu Aug 14 07:29:06 CDT 1997

At 02:53 PM 8/13/97 +0000, Mark Smith wrote:
>Sojourner wrote:
>
>> If your father, and myself, and others took the time to read these journals
>> (available even in small-town libraries) they would be able to make their
>> own decisions.
>
>Seems my father has become some sort of visual aid here.  Never mind.
>You obviously overestimate the amount of spare time my dad had on his
>hands.  He listened to what his doctor told him, man, as did everybody
>else. More the fool he, one might say, but unless you are able and
>willing to set yourself up as a walking, talking compendium of all the
>world's knowledge, you're gonna have to rely on the "experts" for some
>things.  No?  Besides, most people are not curious - that is the nature
>of the beast. I'm talking about the real world here, not the ideal.

Btw love the beechnut review... My own former high school has a website
and I was so proud when I saw what those kids are doing.

As for your pappy, the visual aid, the overhead projection, my initial
impression was that your father made his dietary choices more on
info from those "damn scientists" than his own personal doctor.

I guess I also get a little heated because I literally work at the corner
of Information Street and Research Boulevard.  My job IS to ride
information like some sort of cybersurreal rodeo cowboy, and as
a result I tend to lose the perspective other people have.

I will say in my own defense (yuh honah... if t'is please thah coeuhrt..)
that I was raised by avid readers of Consumer Reports, readers of
the Economist (haha which always amazed me that it wasn't just a
reply of those dull macroeconomics books we had) and PBS.  In other
words, studying the results of fairly impartial "experts" when making
important decisions like whom to vote for and what products were
worth our money.

It was only later that they got more interested in their personal health,
etc., and if your dad's still kickin and still busy, I highly recommend
the University of California at Berkeley's Wellness Letter.  Or listen
to public radio for the "People's Pharmacy" etc.

Anyhow..

	"Although the organic composition of wastewater is
	 site-specific, wastewaters typically contain 40-60%
	 proteins, 25-50% carbohydrates and 10% lipids."

	   -Water Research, vol. 31 no. 9 Sept. 1997

yummy!