MDMD (6)--Obs on Ch. 17

RICHARD ROMEO RR.TFCNY at mail.fdncenter.org
Thu Aug 14 16:51:00 CDT 1997

rambling Obs. on Ch 17

Even out of the wind, Mason is confronted with madmen and madness.
Mournival confirms Mason's suspicions that "he is not well" by stating
"and more of us on the leeward side than you'd ever suspect." --amen to
that brother.
Notice the figure of Jenkins' Ear:  it displays both male and female
characteristics--it grows erect yet Mournival describes the ear as "she":
 she'll take anything in, in any language.  also the ear is desribed as a
"voracious vessel".  Though this ear is Tiresias-like, it "only listens
to wishes, ...[it] doesn't grant them."  i.e. no wisdom is dispensed,
this oracle is deaf, a brittle grail.
(I've also read that losing an ear represents "domestic upheaval"
something which Mason is confronted with in Ch. 18 & 19.)
Also seeing as a cave is usually a place for initiation into secret
rites, one wonders if old Nevil has visited the museum and what wish he
wished for?
Peer yer eyes at the "neglected garden"...Mason is humiliated by the ear.
this garden is a place of  "transition between two worlds...a sailor's
waterfront chapel".  Check out excerpt from Rev. Mapple's sermon in Moby
Dick (Ch. 9):  "in black distress, I called my God, when I could scarce
beleive him mine, he bowed his ear to my complaints, no more the whale
did me confine."  Poor Charles...
Both M&D have their own opinions and explanations about Maskelyne's
behavior--Mason thinks he be after glory and sci discovery, a trial, "his
time in the desert", i.e. sacrifice.  Dixon points out he just may be a
drunk, forever trapped in descending madness, drink his only refuge, i.e.
a rather deadly self-indulgence.  M&D would rather discuss him than
themselves.
Pynch balances well both of these views when introducing Maskelyne into
various scenes throughout the novel.
Notice also some "dark parallels"--do we necessarily think of these
connections as sinister or ones we just haven't made yet, hence
dark--seems dark can mean more than just something evil afoot.  most
obvious example in this chapter is the Spanish ship named Rebecca.  Other
examples:  Jenkin's Ear was cut off for the ruby earring.  Clive's Chapel
where Mason and Rebeekah are married is festooned with all sorts of
jewels, including depictions of Clive's wedding, his coat of rubies
mentioned in the next chapter.
Or, the ever-present dog images--Mason, while in that garden, acts like a
dog, and Maskelyne trying to gauge the Aberration of light peers under
the Dog star.  all of this leads one to think it must related to the LED
somehow
What I'm getting at is that certain terms or images are repeated and
might have some hidden signifigance.  Or maybe, there aren't any.
Finally,  Mason is viewing the Chronoscope on p. 177 'events not yet
reduced to certainity...his last morning of immortality' section.  Look
forward to p. 208 where Mason invites Rebekah to sail with him to the
Indies on Jan 9, 1761.  Since this event happened before, can Mason be
dreaming of a different history with Rebekah while in Mournival's cave,
one in which they are about to sail together to the East and India.  The
imagery here is so pregnant with yearnng for other possibilities.   Alas,
a dream never to be. this is a bit of a stretch, I admit...

Richard Romeo
Coordinator of Cooperating Collections
The Foundation Center-NYC
212-807-2417