M&D truthtelling, history & I.F. Stone(WAS Publisher's Weekly (fwd)

Peter Giordano Peter.Giordano at williams.edu
Fri Aug 15 07:23:38 CDT 1997

Andrew said:
[....]
>You should try watching television with the sound off. The effect may
>have been particularly strong for me as I don't have a TV so am
>unaware of the sounds which accompany the images. [...]
I say:
My kids and I do this when commericals come on during THE SIMPSONS - It
makes the commericals very interesting - Every once in awhile we have to
turn the sound on when we've seen an ad for the tenth time and still have
absolutely no idea what's being sold (usually sneakers)
So what is the literary equivalent of turning of turning off the sound when
reading a novel? Skipping the verbs?  I'm reminded of Italo Calvino's IF ON
A WINTER'S NIGHT A TRAVELLER ... a novel worth considering in light of all
the discussion of what Cherrycoke is up to

Peter Giordano
Williams College
Williamstown, MA