Independents/Deepen(Sun)dance--travel book

Sojourner sojourner at vt.edu
Fri Aug 15 06:52:08 CDT 1997

At 09:55 PM 8/14/97 +0100, Eric Alan Weinstein wrote:

>  BTW there's an excellent independent bookstore near
>>you in Gaithersburg about hmm 2 blocks from 355 on Shady
>>Grove Rd.
>
>     As soon as someone wrote this, I thought "where is
>Gaithersburg?" Because it occurs to me that I'm
>not interested in a place-name until I associate it with
>something. And now I am interested in Gaithersburg and
>wonder about the enchantments of the "355".
>
>  Why not write a travel book
>based around touring and visiting independent bookshops,
>talks with the proprietors about the history of the shops and
>towns or neighbourhoods?
>
>I bet it would be an interesting tour for the writer, and
>could be a good read if done well. Might help spark
>a little extra interest in local booksellers, too.

Yikes.. sorry I wrote that message for the Husky Mariner,
knowing he lived in Rockville (Maryland) and thus he would
know where Gaithersburg is (also in Maryland).

Gaithersburg is a sprawling community comfortably within
the shadow of Washington DC, approximately 20+ miles
distant, with a population of 39,542 in the 1990 census.

As for the book idea that sounds wonderful, but I think it
better be someone who can afford to travel and write so
much, as I can barely pay my bills as it is.