M&D truthtelling, history & I.F. Stone(WAS Publisher's Weekly (fwd)

Tom Hickey springer at interaccess.com
Fri Aug 15 10:58:26 CDT 1997

I've been reading but now I'd like to write.

Sojourner wrote:

> I will continue my assault on the viewers of TV and movies precisely
> because it is VIEWING, a passive verb and action.  Reading is active,
> even the dullard reading a "page-turner" which is of the absolute
> "lowest" (what a fucking bastard thing that is) quality, which is written
> by a half-wit, in rambling and incoherent sentences and structure.

I'm curious: how do you feel about live theatre or music?  does putting
something onto some sort of video or projection screen automatically make
them less intellectually challenging? or can ALL of the performing arts be
dismissed as easily as television because they are passive activities?
because all people do is view them or _listen_ to them (another passive
verb).  Is literature the Queen of the Arts after all simply because the
density of symbols that require decrypting is so high?

Tom Hickey
Is the best television program still worse than the worst book?