M&D truthtelling, history & I.F. Stone(WAS Publisher's Weekly (fwd)

David Casseres casseres at apple.com
Fri Aug 15 11:54:01 CDT 1997

Sojourner sez
>I respect and admire and value people who read more than they
>watch, who do more than they talk about, who walk more than
>they drive, who think more than they preach, who stand more
>than they sit, and who listen more than they hear.

I'm proud to say everyone in my entire family has always read far more
than they watch, and watched TV once or twice a week at most, often going
weeks at a time without bothering.  But a number of us are seriously fond
of movies.

I maintain movies and TV are fundamentally different, even though both
are "passive."  For one thing, a movie is intended to be a whole unto
itself, to be experienced once (and perhaps revisited, like a book),
while TV is meant to be a habit, with a regular schedule for seeing the
same thing again with minor variations.  As a result, the culture that
produces movies is quite different from the one that produces TV.

Obviously there are exceptions, with some movie-like things appearing on
TV and too many movies these days looking just like TV.  But I think the
distinction is crucial.  That's why Pynchon is loaded with movie
references, but TV (as far as I can recall) is referred to only
sparingly, in Vineland.

Cheers,
David