TV vs. Reading et al

Tom Stanton tstanton at nationalgeographic.com
Fri Aug 22 05:39:34 CDT 1997

At 03:38 PM 8/18/97 -0400, Matthew P Wiener wrote:
>David Casseres wrote:
>> On the other hand it's extremely important to note, as you do, that
>> Xerox is to this day a company whose main interest is in putting marks
>> on pieces of paper...
>[snip]
>It's easy for those who can hack the could-have-been cutting edge to
>complain, but we were always a tiny minority.  Xerox was going after
>what would indeed sell.

And what would indeed be understood by a mass market whose
constituents (me included in 1980) only knew of computers as
monolithic math machines. I saw the Lisa (Job's version of the
Xerox PARC work) in 1982 and was blown away. Ink on paper
was its goal, but it worked!

Xerox put the money up to cover & control a market that never
went away, and the results changed how we computed. The
visionaries never found the funding and were lost in the shuffle.
Was this that awful? No Bucks, No Buck Rogers as they say in
"The Right Stuff."