Pynchon genius

Paul Mackin mackin at allware.com
Thu Aug 28 13:44:16 CDT 1997

Does anyone have trouble besides me with the genius of
Pynchon concept? Is Pynchon merely text, or textuality
(eeek), that happens to resonate for us, or is there a
great god-given writer out there name of Thomas Pynchon
who is so fantastically clever with words and ideas
that the world must beat a path to his door, so to speak.
I know I am forever citing the Pynchon genius at this
or at that, then hating myself for it an instant later.
But what can you do when you see something you especially
like? It's natural to think there's something behind it,
besides the material conditions of whatever. But how well
does our P fit the great writer syndrome of the past?
Normal Mailer was a great writer to no insignificant
extent through forever proclaiming the fact to the world.
He challeged all others to better him either at the
keyboard or the fight ring. Is other words, it was a
PR job, a military campaign. But Pynchon just maintains
silence. Has Pynchon ever done anything to stake out a
genius slot on the writing scene, besides just turning
out good books? Does he need to, does anyone think? Is
the p-list an adequate substitute? Are we his foot
soldiers, secretly guided to action by forces unseen?
Yep, it's gotta be this last.

Don't expect to get any answers but can't help
wondering . . .

			P.