Pynchon genius (let's try it again)

gravity gravity at tidalwave.net
Thu Aug 28 12:59:03 CDT 1997

"Genius" is a person, IMHO as evidenced by their best. Kinda
suprised, Greg, by your quantity test. Are there unpublished
geniuses, some perhaps even more private than TRP? Sure it's
disappointing when someone whose work we admire never gives us
anything as admirable as that work, or when an otherwise brilliant
person is generally unproductive, but I find the art as capital idea
very unpleansant. It's little better than "What kinda work do ya do?
How much @&#$% did you make last year?"

On 28 Aug 97 at 9:04, Greg Montalbano <greg.montalbano at ucop.edu>
wrote:
<snip>
> I think it eventually comes down to CONSISTENCY.  Some folks are
> lucky enough (or talented enough) to come out with a first novel
> that KILLS. (William Gibson comes to mind, here).  The test or
> measure of genius comes with the second, third, nth novels ... do
> they maintain, extend, transend the original level of excellence?
<snip>

AsB4,
Henry Musikar
(-::-)
Keep cool, but care. -- TRP
Moderation in moderation. -- Husky Mariner
DON'T PANIC! -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
What, me worry? -- A. E. Newman