Smog Monster (was: re: call for papers)

Paul Murphy paul.murphy at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 29 03:27:34 CDT 1997

Chris K. writes:

> Your
>     penalty for failing to answer this question is to watch the wretched
>     Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster.

Hey, don't badmouth the Smog. Among the funniest films I've seen (OK, it
isn't quite Duck Soup), with a wicked theme song ("Save the Earth!") and
"hip kids rocking out on Mount Fuji", wrapped up in environmentalist
jeremiads. Best seen in a giddy mood.

Wanting for anything on topic to say, I should point out that the 'creative
geniuses' behind ID4 are currently making a brand-new Godzilla film which
promises to be pure cheez (saw the trailer prior to a very belated
screening of MiB, which I enjoyed somewhat (spotting all the Burton & Coen
Bros. plunderings), but I wouldn't call any of it 'subversive' in any
possible world).

Cheers,
Paul Noel Murphy