call for papers

Christine Karatnytsky christinekaratnytsky at juno.com
Fri Aug 29 07:24:30 CDT 1997

Quoth Sojourner:

<Sneeg, along with pre- and post-sneeg snipped>

>And Marx and his quiggly
>fratelli et al (I guess parentals not included eh?) have been
>bombasted at me due to the catamenia of their eminent successes, the
>carrying on through living generations, the bissextile jubilee of
generational
>wit, the revelry in the reverie sort of thing.

Actually the parentals (well, Mama Marx, anyway) make an interesting
addition to the bio-pic, as worthy of your exploration as the genius
works of the fratelli themselves.  But:  "bombasted at you?"  Hardly.
You should make a pilgrimage to the archive and quake at the lashing
gentleman Steely served up to iconoclast Mascaro for daring to admit he
thought Citizen Kane over-rated.  You'd have been begging for davemarc's
tempered disdain, a mere ruler slap on the palm, had the same been
delivered to your deserving door-step.  (I know about these things,
having been lashed by Steely myself, not to mention slapped by them
Dominicans.  Talk about things to do when you're sexless.)  The Marx
brothers endure because they continue to be relevant, to be funny, not
out of any obeissance to the past.  Goodness, don't they still laugh at
Aristophanes where you live?

>But to include it in an academic setting of quality?  Ahh.. I must
>scoff

Then, as usual, you scoff too soon.  I never said the Godzilla movies
were to be a topic of study at the conference, though, who knows, they
might be.  I would venture to say they make a worthy avenue of study, but
I won't waste that on you.

Boil away.  Nobody said otherwise, but:

> keeping mine
>eyes but to the Heavens, as mine heart goes but to the abode of Dis,
>and walk never again under Lady Nox's kind smile.

Oh, come now.  You overstate.

Look to the movies.  Belonging to them as I do, I know they live, and
that here upon this Island in the River, close to the Forces within, even
you, Dopery, may learn of them, Celluloid Secrets you could never guess.

Rebekah  <insert bared tooth grin here>

P.S.  Add:  Rebecca, c. 1940, starring Laurence Olivier as Maxim de
Winter.  davemarc mentioned at dinner the other night his thoughts that
the name Rebekah was a possible reference to the film.  Maybe he will
expand on this for the benefit of the list.

P.S.  Thomas Pynchon is a genius because he, magician of living and
language, makes everything being connected manifest in his texts.

P.S.  For those who are interested, neither Murthy nor Peter Giordano
contacted me about the mtg the other night.  I heard from Murthy, though,
last night.  All is well, and I will set something up as soon as I am
able.