call for papers)

Thomas Eckhardt uzs7lz at ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de
Sat Aug 30 07:54:34 CDT 1997

At 06:59 30.08.1997 -0400, Tom Stanton wrote:

>I love monster movies, but  must draw the line on cheap classics
>somewhere in the late 70s. After "Carrie" and "Friday the 13th" they
>became too soaked in cheap gore and stupid sex to really enjoy. My
>son insists one film, billed as "the bloodiest ever" is a classic because
>it contains a scene where one protaganist, surrounded by zombies
>that plan to beat him to death, is rescued by a kung-fu Roman Catholic
>priest who announces, "I kick ass for the Lord," as he windmill kicks
>the zombies and beheads them. So may be there is hope...

This is "Braindead" by Peter Jackson, indeed a very funny film.
Rodriguez/Tarantino did something similar, although not nearly as funny, in
the second half of "From Dusk Till Dawn". But the two truly hilarious
Commedias de Gore IMHO are Stuart Gordon's "Reanimator" and Sam Raimi's
"Evil Dead 2" (though Splatter aficionados prefer part 1). As far as
contemporary monster (not zombie/splatter) movies are concerned, Tim Burton
is my man. I think "The Return of Batman" and "Edward Scissorhands" are just
wonderful.

Thomas Eckhardt

                             HONK! BLAT! SQUEE!
				(Lester Bangs, "John Coltrane Lives")