reading/hearing: + M&D

j minnich plachazu at ccnet.com
Sat Jan 11 18:16:58 CST 1997


>> Bill Burns wrote:
>> 
>> Can anyone suggest some good reading in comparative religion/mythology?
>> 

Well, there's _Love in The Western World_, by Denis DeRougement which I read
(most of) recently after seeing some talk about it here on the p-list.  I
thought it alternately insightful and off the wall.  Also, along the lines
of Graves' _The White Goddess_ there's _Hamlet's Mill_ by Giorgio Santillana
& Hertha von Dechend.  And somebody just mentioned _From Ritual to Romance_
by Jessie Weston.  (I never could stand Joseph Campbell, by the way.)  There
must be a category that covers all this speculative kind of stuff, but I
don't know what it is. Somebody just mentioned Frazer's _The Golden Bough_
which I almost forgot. The abridged version (a mere 800 pages) always seemed
adequate for my span of attention.                   -j minnich
---------------------------------------------------------------
"If a drunkard in a sober fit is the dullest of mortals, an enthusiast in a
reason-fit is not the most lively."   
      -H. Melville, _The Confidence Man_




More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list