The distressing Mr. Flynt

Henry M gravity at nicom.com
Thu Jan 23 18:52:04 CST 1997

It's important to remember that Lenny Bruce was using language that a
lot of other comedians were using, people like Red Fox and others.
Lenny was busted, using obscenity laws, for the socio-political
content of his speech. Not only am I in extremely in favor of free
speech for the sake of free speech, but the application of laws
against individual rights, including sex, drugs, and rock & roll, are
inconsistently applied, and so become a tool for other forms of
repression.

On 23 Jan 97 at 10:26, Greg Montalbano wrote:

<SNIPPED Quote>

> This IS the point.
> Anybody here old enough to remember Lenny Bruce?  --his continuing
> battles against an establishment that used obscenity "laws" (which
> were frequently, in fact, no more than conventions) to suppress
> language that they found "offensive" -- and the reluctance that
> someone else mentioned on the part of elected officials to come out
> in favor of "smut", which acts to encourage the Mrs Grundys.

<SNIP>

Keep cool, but care. -- TRP
Moderation in moderation. -- Husky Mariner

http://www.nicom.com/~gravity