Doug's Question on Pynchon and Esoterica

Doug Millison millison at online-journalist.com
Fri Jul 4 12:20:53 CDT 1997

Eric,

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I've enjoyed your posts and learned a
lot from them. I will dig deeper into what's already been written about
Pynchon and the spiritual side of the equation.

Pynchon does seem to put Mason and Dixon squarely in the
spiritual/unknown/mystical camp  -- two characters he's taken quite a few
years to create and situate in this new novel, characters that he's created
and treated with enormous sympathy; by endowing them with what appears to
be a fairly deep involvement in the mystical, I wonder if that might
indicate where Pynchon's sympathies lie.

Cordially,
Doug

D O U G  M I L L I S O N ||||||||||||| millison at online-journalist.com
     Today in history (4 July 97), from wire service reports:
   1862: Lewis Carroll began the "Alice in Wonderland" story.
   1900: Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, famed jazz trumpeter,
        was born in New Orleans (d: 1971).
   1966: President Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law the Freedom
        of Information Act.