Pynchonian Rorschach

Henry Musikar gravity at nicom.com
Sun Jul 6 23:11:16 CDT 1997

On  6 Jul 97 at 18:14, jporter <jp4321 at IDT.NET> wrote:
<snip>

Quoting Jules:

Jody himself wrote:
> OK, Siegel. We've established that Mr. Pynchon writes fiction, and
> you've made it clear that you don't like it. If you want to delude
> yourself into thinking that you've "provoked this consensus" what's
> the harm? You have

I respond:

Is Jody suggesting that there isn't a consensus, or simply that
Jules didn't "provoke this consensus?" There never is a consensus on
this list. Bu-ut I haven't haven't heard any reasonable argument
against the suggestion that Pynchon's concern for historical accuracy
has declined post-GR. IMHO, most of the discussion of this issue is
more concerned with whether Pynchon's work should really be considered
historical fiction, and if so, shouldn't we then  "require" it to
stand up to the same tests to which the hold the work of other
historical novelists?

AsB4,
Henry Musikar

Keep cool, but care. -- TRP
Moderation in moderation. -- Husky Mariner
DON'T PANIC! -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
What, me worry? -- A. E. Newman