MDMD(3)--Just a thought

Paul Mackin mackin at allware.com
Tue Jul 8 21:52:01 CDT 1997

Steven Maas (CUTR) wrote: (concerning the centrality of predestination
I alleged)

> It may be central to many or most Protestant sects, but I didn't hear much
> about it in my midwestern Catholic childhood.  Basically anyone could go
> to heaven or hell--depending on how you lived (as long as you were
> baptized and went to confession! a-and gave generously and had lotsa
> kids!). I also don't remember any attempts to reconcile a *lack* of
> predestination with the claimed omniscience of god--I guess the priests
> and nuns didn't see the percentage in debating this logical problem with
> their catechism class.

to salvation. It's just that God knows in advance who will and
who won't. Things are predestined in THAT sense. It don't make a
whole lotta sense of course.

> Are you saying that adherents of [Reformed Dutch] believe that no matter what
> they do in their lives it is predetermined whether they will go to heaven
> or hell?  What incentive does this give them to behave any way other than
> on their whims?
no control of their respective destinies. St. Augustine (ODDLY)
is associated to some degree with this position, the exception
that proves the rule.

Devine Grace, a gift of God, is more important than anything else.
No view of human action can be allowed to undermine THAT.

Not a true believer myself,

				P.