predestination & the preterite [Re: MDMD(3)--Just a

Ted Samsel tejas at infi.net
Thu Jul 10 06:06:59 CDT 1997

Jean dice:
> Jules a dit:
>
>      I would be interested in seeing further discussion of the relationship
>      between Calvinism and class structure, as well as its role in the
>      history of industrialism. In reading Elaine Pagels' book on the
>      Gnostics, I see many points that indicate that the Gnostics were driven
>      out of mainline Christianity by people who acted more like businessmen
>      or political leaders than religious figures.
>
>      Does Pynchon see I. G. Farben, et al, as the inheritors of the
>      Christianity as business?
>
> I would say more that IG Farben, et al, are the inheritors of Christianity
> as religion.  The cult of the almighty dollar is certainly something that
> the Calvinists (and I must include my own protestant ass in that group) had
> no qualms with.  Ever step inside a So. Baptist church?  Just take a look at
> the multi-million dollar building, ringed with the mercedes and beemers of
> its congregation, and you'll be left with little doubt about who the REAL
> God of the believers is.

Lest we forget the incessant round of seminars for the believers
concerning material"SUCK-CESS" as the right of the anointed.. just
check out some of them there info-mercials on Pat (If I can stop
a hurricane, I can stop a comet) Robertson's (& now Rupe Murdoch's)
media empire.

Ah, humility and contrition....

Ted Samsel....tejas at infi.net
  "I want the frimfram sauce with the orson-fay
         and chifaffa on the side...."