Almost done with M&D]

Michael McAulay michael.mcaulay at 3do.com
Fri Jul 18 01:27:56 CDT 1997

I have to echo those who have defended M&D's stature viz. the rest of
Pynchon's work.

My own reaction to the book was: elation for the first 200 or so pages
then a dip in enthusiasm as the tale began its dreamy meander through
America.  This was in part because I was reading the book in bed and so
was in a dreamy state myself a good percentage of the way.  But it was
at least as much due to the fact that I had certain Expectations that
our Author wasn't Meeting.  Well, that's my problem of course.  And I
find that the more time that passes, and the more neat-o Ob.s. I pick up
here on this list (pucker up, now!) and the more I think about it and -
especially - go back and re-read sections, the more I realize how deep
it is, and how magnificent.  It's more subtle than his previous work,
which threw me at first.

My appreciation for M&D continues to expand like Mason's waistline (or
my own).  At this point I would rate it second best overall.  GR seems
kind of untouchable at this point, a real magnum opus.  But M&D strikes
me as way richer than any of the others, and believe me I like 'em all.

A final, personal note:  I'm so happy that it's great.  It means a lot
to me.  This is blatant hero-worship I suppose but I was really, really
hoping it wasn't going to be another Bobby Fischer-esque "why the hell
didn't he stay in hiding" affair.  It reaffirms my faith in art, and the
Artist - as dorky and unhip as that may sound to some ears.

Pynch is the coolest.  May he publish again, and again and again.

========
Mike McAulay
Sr. Engineer
3DO